It's hard to believe that next week we're already in MAY.
January February March April MAY June July August September October November December............
We're five months in, with just seven more months to go before it's time to make our New Year's Resolutions... again.
I'm sure you made some kind of writing goal, so it's important to revisit that progress and check in on how you're doing. Below I've listed some steps that will help you reflect. Ya know, on this year's goals, not making next year's.
Here we go:
- Read your list of goals for 2015.
- For which ones have you actually made progress/steps towards progress? Which ones completely fell off your radar?
- For the goals that fell off your radar:
- Are these still important to you? Does something need to be removed? Note that you shouldn't remove a goal just because it's challenging-- only because it's not a true area of focus.
- For the goals you've addressed:
- Are you on track to meeting your goal by the time-frame you set? Does anything else need to be tweaked? If so, be sure to record that and revise as necessary.
- Finally, are there any goals you need to add? You don't have to wait until January 1, 2016 to start making new ones. Think about whether or not you need to add some goals or simply break down your existing ones into more manageable steps. This is a great option if you had a lot of goals that fell under #2.
It's simple, but taking the time to reflect almost mid-way through the year ensures that you won't look back on January 1 and be disappointed with your progress.
I'm making progress towards a few of my goals, but I still have a lot of work to do:
- I haven't taken any steps towards my "learn a new language" goal. That's one I'm going to take off the list-- it just isn't a priority right now.
- My second goal was to continue building my blog, with the major goal of getting published on Huffington Post. I'm still working on it. I'm making a mental note to keep submitting pitches that are a good fit.
- I've been great about journaling and documenting short snippets about my weeks.
- I haven't gone to Ireland yet... but it's in the plans.
- I published an ebook... yay!!
- I'm still working on my full-length novel... but I'm going to need to hustle if I want it to be done by September. I'm going to revise that goal to say "December." It'll make me actually want to work towards it... September just isn't going to happen.
- I have plans to win NaNoWriMo this year.
- I've been good about my eating and wellness, but my exercise has suffered because of my recent bout with vertigo. Generally, I'm doing well in this area.
- Under my blogging goal, I'm going to add that I'll update my blog at least weekly.
This isn't a long or very intensive process, but even simply reading through your goals makes them fresher in your mind and keeps you focused on the prize.