It's been awhile since I posted a "Read These" Round-Up, which is just as well because this week's is jam-packed with tons of interesting pieces. I'm taking a break from Storify because for some reason it doesn't embed in the emails I send to subscribers. Just a heads up in case you are thinking about using it for your own blog.
On to the latest and greatest!
- How to Make Money Blogging- This is a lengthy resource, so I'll share a few of my own takeaways/highlights:
- You have to do all four of the following things in order to make money from blogging: 1. Create excellent content 2. Establish real relationships 3. Build your platform, and 4. Choose and implement streams of income.
- Ads make less money than they used to, but Google AdSense is probably the best bet for beginners.
- Giveaways are a great idea, but you need to claim the products you receive on your taxes.
- Making podcasts, creating plugins/themes, writing an ebook and leading online workshops are only a few of the out-of-the-box ideas that can lead to you making the moolah.
- A Teenager's View on Social Media- This is a super interesting must-read written by a 19-year-old who shares what his age group actually thinks about different social media platforms. Facebook is the awkward family party you can't leave, Instagram is all the rage, and Yik Yak is something I never heard of until I read this article.
- 9 Ways Writing Short Stories Can Pay Off for Writers- Writer's Digest's Brian Klem shares that short stories can make more money than a novel and often lead to bigger and better things (like landing an agent). This just proves once and for all that brevity is best. If you're looking for places to submit, this email blast from Michelle Richmond has a great list of places to start, including Glimmer Train, The Missouri Review, and Five Points.
Have a great week!
PS. There's still time to sign up for #BookforaBook, which is an old-school mail chain that connects readers around the world. Be sure to forward this to a friend-- the more the merrier!