This week I go on vacation, which means I get to do a few things, not the least of which is…
A few summer reading lists are popping up from bloggers, like this one from popcornblog.com. I’m a firm believer that the best writers are thirsty readers. Like my musical tastes, I have a pretty varied taste in literature.
Not all of it is, ahem, great.
When I’m on the beach, I want a beach read, period.
Some of the books on the list below I’ve already read and simply want to share with you. This is a nice mix of quality and fun. I doubt I’ll get through all of it, but a girl can dream.
The list, in no particular order:
- Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan: I have the audio book version in my car. I was trying to save it for my long travel drive, but I couldn’t wait and I’m already flying through it. Highly recommend this one (at least so far). The next audio book in the queue is The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling.
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green- I read it on my kindle, have no desire to see the movie, but cried just like everyone else by the end of the story.
- A Summer Affair by Elin Hilderbrand- All of her books are just perfect for the beach. Paperback.
- Train Dreams by Denis Johnson- I picked up my copy at Strand bookstore. I’m not sure how cliché you can get in one sentence, but I’ll stop writing before I find out.
- The Best American Short Stories, 2011- Great to have lying around your beach house. Or regular house.
- Tara Road by Maeve Binchy- This may be my first Maeve Binchy. I’m not sure, but I’ll let you know what I think. This was an Oprah Book Club book. Vintage! ;)
- The Portable Dorothy Parker- Must read. I’ve been making my way through this one for awhile now, savoring it.
- The Paris Wife by Paula McLain- Beautifully written. Fiction. Reminiscent (and about) Hemingway.
- The Inner Circle by T.C. Boyle- It has sex in it. Meep!
- Doctor Sleep by Stephen King- I love me some Stephen King. I also can’t wait to get my paws on Mr. Mercedes.
You can follow me on Goodreads for my longer-- much longer-- to-read list. It makes me happy just thinking about it.
What's on your bookshelf?